Sunday, February 1, 2009

Practice

I've never entered a writing contest before.

The other day I saw a contest that sounded like fun. I had seen others before on this particular site but the deadline is usually really quick and as this writer knows, I need to have time revise and rewrite many times before I can bring myself to allow others to see the piece.

Regardless of the short time frame and feeling inspired, I sat down and created three short possibilities for the Valentine's Day Contest (entries are accepted until Feb 6th in time for a final showdown on the 14th). The truth of it is that I don't care to win the contest. The prize isn't all that interesting to me and the odds will be long.

But writing little stories for contests gives me a great reason to practice. So I am revising and rewriting my little miniature babies and I hope to see one of them shape up enough to ship out. One of the themes is a letter from Rosaline's point of view. Rosaline is, of course, the girl that Romeo drops like a hot potato once he sees Juliet. So just for kicks, I put The Killers version of Romeo and Juliet up on the side.

After I choose which entry to make I will post any of my babies that are fit to be seen here.

No comments: