Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Music

When I write, I often look for music to help direct my mood. It is a rare occasion to write in utter silence.

Music helps me to go to the emotional places that my characters need to go to. For example, I am rarely upset when I have to write about a character who is upset. I don't even know how well I could write if I were upset.

Diac is now within about four chapters of completion. This next chapter is titled Suicide. It is extremely important to hit the right notes with my characters during this scene. I need it to be perfect. In a first draft, some chapters may be allowed to be middling but some must be completely without blemish. In this chapter, Sebastian's emotions need to be spot on.

Do you write to music or do you write in silence?

No comments: