Monday, February 21, 2011

Half is Better Than Nothing

After working through some edits from my latest reader, I have decided to answer half of the question. I'm splitting the story and attempting the rewrites to the beginning and to Finley's and Edward's story lines.

In one of Q. Lindsey Barrett's classes ( I think it was structured revision) she suggested that after you get to a first draft you might want to start over and rewrite the whole thing again - from scratch. The air was sucked out of the room as every struggling writer gasped in horror. Or maybe that was just my response. After laboring for months or years, the idea is almost unthinkable.

I've spent the last several weeks turning the story over in my mind, trying to balance staying true to the original (which is paced very slow and methodical) and allowing Amelia Rider to stand on her own two feet.

Of all the readers who read the whole thing, none suggested that the storyline was hugely flawed. Once they got into it, they seemed to really get into it. So, at this point, it is probably good enough for my shelf, for me to reread occasionally, and to live with all my other stories that are meant for my enjoyment.

But, the challenge is striking. Is it possible to rewrite the beginning in action? Is it worthwhile to show what Finley is up to in Volume Three (something, as a writer, that I always knew where he was and what he was doing but now ponder showing)? Can I make Edward, as valiant, flawed, and virtuous as Valancourt, but propel him into the twenty-first century with a modern feel? I think I nailed two of the three but you would be surprised how hard it is to write a virtuous, twenty-first century male character. Virtuous men, that are desirable to a modern woman, seemed to have gone the way of the dinosaur.

And so, while I don't plan to rewrite the whole thing from beginning to end, I have begun to dismantle the story and to weave the new story lines into the fabric of the tale. I'm departing further from the original than I intended but I started this whole project on a mere whim last October anyway. Besides, what am I afraid of? Are there adaptation police that might arrest me?

In the end, I may end up with two versions of this story for the ol' bookshelf. Or I may try the rewrites and fail in the attempt. It is entirely possible that I might butcher any beauty out of the story and end up in tears at the end of the experiment. But, I have decided that trying and failing is more appealing to me than not trying at all.

I'm plunging in again and as usual I have some songs on my mind when it comes to certain characters. Since I will be attacking Finley the most, I have a little tribute for him.

(And if you are one of the few who has read the story, you know how cheeky he can be.)

Travis
U16 Girls



Bare Jr.
You Blew Me Off




Muse
Uno




Gulp.

2 comments:

Chad Anselmo said...

I think you should publish it and sell a gazillion copies, that way we could buy a cruise ship, and sail the world!!

Letterpress said...

I'm with Chad. I'll carry the luggage and babysit the kids, if I can come!